my scrap philosophy

I scrap for me. I would love to do every page and look at it saying "wow, I'm proud of that"...but sometimes pages get done and are just okay.....that's okay! I don't have perfect days everyday, I'm not a perfect mom all the time, and perfect wife...LOL, let's just say I'm no June Cleaver ;) And those last 10 pounds I lost keep finding their way back...life isn't perfect, and neither is every scrapbook page :)



Sunday, December 6, 2009

This weekend...

Yesterday I worked on this sketch from 52 Sketches...52 Weeks :



my take:




I handwrote the journaling...here's my trick:  I print it out in a cool front from my computer, then I place that paper on my lightbox with my "journal box" (in this case, a diecut raindrop) to copy the journaling.  This lettering was kinda harder to recreate, but it was worth it in the end :)

Today I worked on this sketch from Sketch Inspiration :




my take:




This is my nephew and niece.  I made it for my sister.  I love my nephew's shirt - the arrow says "The Face of"  and "Autism" just below.  Donivan is a "non-verbal" autistic, and when he was little and couldn't communicate what he wanted to my sister he would sometimes throw tantrums, or just get loud.  I remember my sister always getting dirty looks from other adults...you know, those looks of "somebody doesn't know how to make their children behave" that I have even been guilty of giving to people from time to time.  We would always discuss how we couldn't put a sign on him declaring he was autistic so that people would understand...but my sister finally found this shirt :)  He doesn't throw those tantrums as much anymore, as he has learned other ways to communicate, and it took until he was 17 to find this shirt, but it makes me smile looking at this picture of him with the shirt, and what a happy child he is today!

1 comment:

kate blue said...

great story...and so true, especially looks by those who don't have kids...as a mom of a child with "different abilities" but not autism, I can truly sympathize with sis...we use sign language and speech and my son is learning to talk spontaneously so that really helps...keep crafting!